Every Day Birds
Written by Amy Ludwig VanDerwater
Illustrated by Dylan Metrano
Glorious cut paper illustrations of common birds jump from the pages of this delightful new poetic nonfiction book. The text is simple, with large, bold type. Birds illustrated are correctly portrayed to fit the text as well as their own habitat.
Youngsters hearing it read aloud will love the rhythm and rhyme of the poem. They will quickly learn to identify the birds and will be repeating the poem before long.
This book will be an asset to science teachers in the elementary grades and will fulfill many core curriculum standards for teachers and librarians in the areas of literacy as well as science. The art teacher or classroom teacher might well use this as an example of excellent cut paper art. Children will love making cut art of their own in school or at home to put in books or greeting cards.
- Title: Every Day Birds
- Author: Amy Ludwig VanDerwater
- Illustrator: Dylan Metrano
- Publisher: Orchard Books, Imprint of Scholastic, 2016
- Reviewer: Elizabeth Swartz
- Format: Hardcover, 32 pages
- ISBN: 978-0-545-69980-8
- Genre: Nonfiction Picture Book
- Grade level: PreK to 3
- Extras: Back pages provide in-depth information about what each type of bird eats, where it lives, how it looks, or what sounds it makes. The poem is also provided in its entirety on a double paged spread at the back of the book.