Over on a Desert: Somewhere in the World
Written by Marianne Berkes
Illustrated by Jill Dubin
Another in the nature series, this is another great view of one of the world’s environments. Beautifully illustrated and combined with counting and geography, the facts about each creature’s behavior are a delight to learn. The singular idea that deserts are not as barren as many believe is enough to make this book worthwhile. The author takes a few liberties with animal facts for the sake of rhyme, making the Fact or Fiction? section necessary. The “hidden” animals are additions to the illustrations/landscape presented partly to add to the fun. The author highlights numerous activities in her note at the end to suggest further study. The illustrator and designer both have great stories to relate about their adventures while conducting research for this project. The last section shows how the text can be set to music.
This is a wonderful addition to study of climates and animal diversity.
- Title: Over on a Desert: Somewhere in the World
- Author: Marianne Berkes
- Illustrator: Jill Dubin
- Published: Dawn Publications, 2018
- Reviewer: Sue Poduska
- Format: Paperback, 32 pages
- Grade Level: 1 to2
- Genre: Picture Book, Nature, Counting, Animals
- ISBN: 978-1-58469-630-8
- Extras: Fact or Fiction?, Desert Facts, Who Are the “Hidden” Desert Animals?, About the Animals in the Story, From the Author, From the Illustrator, From the Book Designer, Over on a Desert